Every year approximately 80 Utah children witness the murder or attempted murder of their mother.
Since 2000, at least 42% of adult homicides in Utah were domestic violence related.
Between 2010 and 2013:
- 88% of domestic violence homicide perpetrators were male
- A firearm was the weapon in 59% of the cases
- 39% of perpetrators had a criminal domestic violence history
- 22% of these murderers were previously ordered to “treatment” by the court
- In 22% of the cases, children were either involved or witnessed the homicide
- 34% of the perpetrators died by suicide after the homicide
Lastly, between 2010 and 2013, there was an active protective order in only 2% of the domestic violence homicides perpetrated.
These statistics have compelled us to begin collecting and compiling information about domestic violence related homicides in Utah. Information detailed in this list is pulled from public sources; primarily media reports. We realize there may be additional domestic violence homicides that may not have come to the attention of the media or our Coalition. If you are aware of a domestic violence homicide that is not detailed in the list, please let us know.
The purpose for maintaining and sharing this list is to serve as a memorial to the victims and families while creating awareness of the devastating impact of domestic abuse in Utah.