Every year approximately 80 Utah children witness the murder or attempted murder of their mother.
Since 2000, at least 42% of adult homicides in Utah were domestic violence related.
Between 2010 and 2013:
- 88% of domestic violence homicide perpetrators were male
- A firearm was the weapon in 59% of the cases
- 39% of perpetrators had a criminal domestic violence history
- 22% of these murderers were previously ordered to “treatment” by the court
- In 22% of the cases, children were either involved or witnessed the homicide
- 34% of the perpetrators died by suicide after the homicide
Lastly, between 2010 and 2013, there was an active protective order in only 2% of the domestic violence homicides perpetrated.
Note: Some data is not collected on an annual basis.